Monday, July 16, 2007

checkers vs chess

Checkers Vs. Chess
Checkers is a game played but both young and old. It is a recreational game usually played to “kill free time.” You don’t have to put much thought into it to play. Usually, no matter if you win or loose, it is still fun. You can always look back and laugh about how each player hopped around the board, chasing each other then running from one another. It is a game of chance.
Chess on the other hand, is not a game of chance. It is based entirely on tactics and strategy. Chess is so complex, that not even the best players can foresee all of the events that may occur. Wikipedia describes chess strategy as being a sequence of moves, often memorized, which will help a player build up their position and prepare for the middlegame. Typically when you look back at the game you have played and lost, you regret certain moves that you may have made… not much laughter occurs when you loose. However, when you win, it gives the feeling of fullfilment. Some chess games take a very short time to play, while others are never finished… each move is so carefully planned, that the game can last an eternity. Wether you win or loose while playing chess, you absorb some of the knowledge of the game that you picked up, and use it to form an even stronger game next time around.
There comes a time in each of our lives, where we have to stop playing checkers, and start playing chess. Now, it’s acceptable & understandable to revert to checkers every now and then, just make sure to do it consciously for the right reasons.
During the rise of 2006, I put away my checkerboard, and slowly stacked away each piece, carefully placing them in a safe, yet easy to reach place, just in case I need to pull them back out at a further time. Soon there after, I began to pull out the chess set… now it is time to strategically place each piece out on the board. I now have set my goals and mapped out my game plan. I am ready to move forward.
I started this year off with a new mindset, and so far, I have stuck with it. I have gotten irritated a couple of times, but quickly let it go… they are hardly worth my time. I am really enjoying this new positive, forward moving attitude I have gained. It is a mental blessing to be able to separate what is important from what isn’t. And to be honest, most of what bothered me before wasn’t worth it at all.
Since the rise of 2006, I have ran into several old friends… and each of the “4” guys had close to the same thing to say to me. The first is someone who had a chance, but jacked it up. We didn’t start anything because he was still “playing checkers.” He told me he regretted not doing the right thing when I allowed him the opportunity to show me he was a good man. The second one told me he wishes he took the opportunity to be with me when he had a chance (he thinks he had a chance, Ha.) The third one questioned me on why I never gave him a chance because he is a really good guy and wanted to treat me very well. And, I do believe he would have. Then came the forth, the one who has given me both sunshine and rain… we sat there and questioned each other… Why this? Why that? But all and all… I am still alone. Not only can they not figure out why, but neither can I. At times I feel it is easier, but other times it is much harder. Why be so stubborn to give anyone a chance? I want to love and to be loved… but I think maybe I am waiting for someone to show me love first so I know it is okay to take that chance. As much as a try to protect my heart, it seems as if I am slowly breaking it myself by denying it of what it desires… Love.
How do I know when to put my guard down and allow love to enter? How do I know if he is the one? What if my protective nature, causes me to loose the one that I was meant to be with? There are no answers to the questions above. Empty questions make empty answers, which lead to empty choices... causing loveless relationships. My life has now advanced to chess… I need to make careful and conscience decisions for both my son, and myself. I would be grateful to find my chess partner, as long as they are not still playing checkers.

No comments: